Tips: 8 Things you should know about your microwave

Time to fix: N/A

There is a reason why more than 80% of Malaysian houses have a microwave. It is tough to refuse the convenience of a hot meal in a matter of minutes, whether you are reheating leftovers or eating dinner on the run. Although a microwave's lifespan is typically nine years, how you use it can significantly affect how long it lasts.

Why do you need to fix it?

  1. Less repair work
  2. Increased machine efficiency
  3. Reduce unwanted hazardous in the appliance
  4. Increased machine lifespan

So what do you need to do now?

  1. Avoid slamming the door. Typically, the three latch switches on microwave doors must close in a specific order. This mechanism can be disrupted and a fuse damaged by slamming the door.
  2. Never let it run empty. Without food or drink, energy isn't really absorbed and bounces around the microwave cavity. Causing it to overheat and harming the appliance.
  3. Prevent the surges. Microwaves are among the kitchen appliances that are most vulnerable to power surge damage. When it is not in use, disconnect it from the electrical socket or plug it into a lightning protector to safeguard your hardware.
  4. Always keep it clean. Spillages of food and liquid absorb energy, leaving burn marks that never disappear.
  5. Use microwave-safe dishware. Despite popular belief, many glass products cannot be heated in a microwave. Most likely, the dishware you are using is not microwave safe if it becomes hot or hotter than the food you are preparing. Never use aluminium foil or dishware with metal pieces in the microwave.
  6. Make use of cooking time programs. Programmed cooking cycles can heat your meals more efficiently while using less energy because they are designed to maximise efficiency.
  7. Do not use a microwave to heat water. When heated in the microwave, water can "superheat" when the temperature exceeds boiling. Even though it may not look like the water is boiling, a buildup of energy can cause the water to suddenly and violently burst. Although it's uncommon, it's preferable to use a stovetop kettle or to place something in the cup with the water (a wooden stir stick, tea bag, etc.) to spread the energy before boiling it.
  8. Never try to replace an electronic component on your own. Even when the microwave is disconnected, specific components, such as the capacitor, can hold thousands of volts of power. Only a professional should replace these components because doing so can be risky.